Wednesday, June 12, 2013

FarCry 3 Completed!


So I finally finished the story campaign on FarCry 3, and I wanted to give a round up of what I thought about the game.  Overall, I have to say this was one of the more entertaining and addicting games I've played in a while.  It was easy to get immersed in the environment, and challenging enough to keep me trying new strategies.

Graphics

The graphics on this game were impressive, and I had my machine running everything on ultra mode.  My PC is running a 2.5GB card, a 3.2ghz processor, and 16GB of RAM.  The sheer amount of objects that have to be rendered was amazing.  Trees, leaves, animals, grasses, plants, rocks, NPC's, vehicles and not to mention water effects and shadowing was all fantastic.  Plus the gradual changes from day to night and back were subtle but actually affected gameplay.  I really felt at times that I wished it were day time so I could see better.

The Campaign

The story mode in the game was not only compelling, but it didn't bore me at all.  The story of Jason Brody (Snow White), was interesting to follow, and I really began to feel some emotional connection to the other characters and his desire to rescue them.  The story missions were flexible enough that you could roam the island as you please, without too much concern for time.  Only a few were actually timed missions, and I made all of them before the deadline ran out.

Villains

Vaas has got to be one of the more interesting gaming villain's I have run across in a long time.  He's a bad ass, he's a dick, he's got a sick sense of humor, and he doesn't give a crap about anyone but himself.  As the leader of a pirate band, I couldn't think of a better set of personal traits for a guy.  I really, really, really hated Vaas.

The other villain you run across is Hoyt, who reminds me of Scarface (see the movie if you haven't...).  In fact so much so, that I didn't really feel he was original enough.  By the end I had a definite feeling I hated the guy, but not as much as Vaas.  I really hated Vass (did I already say that?).

Side Missions

Another surprise was how much fun the side missions were, and how important Ubisoft made them to your character.  I've played enough Assassins Creed to get bored with side missions like taking out an outpost, or unlocking another map section.  But in FarCry 3 they gave you good reasons to do them!  Free guns, crafted gear to carry more cash, guns, bullets, explosives etc.  I actually took the time to complete every Wanted Dead and Path of the Hunter missions, climb every radio tower, free every Pirate and Privateer outpost, and play through every Trial of the Rakyat mission at least once.

Crafting

When I first got started I was a little irked that I had to craft items to carry more gear, but I got over it pretty quickly.  I soon found it to be an entertaining priority, and that some of the Path of the Hunter quests were hard enough to make me re-do them.

Rating?

If I had to rate this game, I would give it a rock solid 9 out of 10.  My only complaint would be that once I cleared out an area of Pirates or Privateers, they really stopped showing up.  A little more surprise conflict would have been welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment